Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Future & the Past

I've been asked several times by potential members as well as members of other groups what our particular Temple does to expand upon the information given in Regardie's "Golden Dawn" and other published content. The answer is simple:

"Sorry, that information is secret."

That turns off a lot of potential members, and some members of other groups take that to mean that there is nothing offered beyond the printed material. Sorry, but there are oaths that I abide by, and part of that oath requires keeping privately circulated material private. I understand the argument that all the currently published information wouldn't exist if Regardie had not broken his vows, but I would argue that it was necessary for the Golden Dawn to exist after the breakup of the Stella Matutina. The rebirth of the Order because of increased interest in the 1960s helped make that a hopeful thing of the past. There are far too many Orders, Temples, etc. running today to let it go extinct.

I will say that from day one, I know the group I belong to has explored and expanded upon the standard material given while staying true to the original concepts. While I personally believe that the basics of the GD system should be kept (the outer separate from the inner), there is a lot of work to add onto even the basic outer system. Take it for what you think it's worth, but never take things for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment